- Overview: In this guide, we examine three favorite daily standup tools—comparing features, pricing, pros, and cons—to give you the best options for effective team communication and better alignment.
- Why Trust Our Advice: Teaminal has been instrumental in enhancing the daily standup process for tons of high-performing teams. We know what works, what doesn’t, and how to get the most out of your daily standups.
- Why It Matters: Daily standup tools are crucial for effective Agile project management. They enhance communication, streamline efficiency, and boost productivity.
- Action Points: Our top three picks are Teaminal, Geekbot, and Status Hero.
- Further Research: Check out the websites and specs for each tool we mention to see whether it meets your needs. Also, be sure to check out our blog for more recommendations and how-tos.
What to learn more about the best daily standup tools?
Daily standup meetings play a pivotal role in fostering collaboration and enhancing productivity on Agile teams. These brief (but impactful) meetings offer a platform for team members to synchronize, discuss progress, and address any impediments.
At Teaminal, we’re big believers in minimizing wasteful face-to-face meetings whenever possible using async tools. And in this guide, we’re introducing you to three of our absolute favorite daily standup tools to get you started.
Let’s dive in.
Why listen to us?
Daily standups are powerful drivers of productivity and alignment in Agile—and we’ve seen firsthand how tools like Teaminal transform daily standup routines.
Teaminal has helped companies like Hello Fresh, Workday, and T-Mobile streamline their Agile processes and achieve higher levels of team collaboration and project success. We know what to look for in a daily standup tool, and we want to share our knowledge with you.
What is a daily standup tool?
A daily standup tool is a platform designed to support Agile teams with their daily standup meetings.
These tools might include features like virtual scrum boards, task management and tracking, team member status updates, and customizable reporting. They’re designed to make the daily standup process more efficient, transparent, and collaborative.
For an example of a daily standup tool that works a bit differently, consider Teaminal.
We support async daily standup meetings through Slack or the Teaminal web app that win back hours of development time. Teaminal members can log in on their own time, update their daily progress, and see what the rest of their team is working on—all without needing to be in the same physical location or virtual meeting.
Why are daily standup tools important?
Daily standups offer a systematic forum for the team to share information, updates, and align on daily priorities. This consistent feedback loop reduces misunderstandings, minimizes duplicated efforts, and enhances overall visibility.
That’s the main reason why 70% of development teams conduct daily standups despite the time commitment.
Standup meetings a short and to-the-point. They communicate goals, priorities, and potential roadblocks quickly. This approach streamlines the team’s day, eliminating unnecessary distractions or delays.
When your team has a clear idea of what needs to be done, in what order, and by who, it’s easier to stay focused and motivated. Daily standups keep everyone on the same page, allowing for smoother collaboration and increased productivity.
Criteria to consider when choosing daily standup tools
Daily standups do not need to be a face-to-face affair. With remote work becoming more prevalent, it’s important to choose tools that allow for asynchronous updates and communication. This will free up development time without sacrificing team alignment.
Integration with existing tools
You already use tools for work (Slack, Teams, Jira, etc.). The daily standup tool you choose shouldn’t exist as an island—it should integrate with some (or all) of these tools. This will make it easier for your team to use and avoid the hassle of switching between multiple platforms.
Ease of use
Your daily standup tool should be easy to set up and navigate. Your team has more important things to focus on than spending hours learning a new tool. Search for options with intuitive interfaces and simple onboarding processes.
3 Best daily standup tools
- Status Hero
Teaminal is a tool that simplifies Agile workflows for distributed teams.
With Teaminal, you can conduct all major Agile rituals—from daily standups to retros—asynchronously. Our tool integrates with Slack to give your team a seamless experience, allowing you to stay connected and updated on project progress.
Teaminal’s daily standups are quick, daily check-ins that let your team know what you accomplished the day before and what you plan to work on for the current day. This keeps everyone on track and accountable—even if they’re in different time zones.
- Async Standups: Allows remote teams to replace daily video calls with quick asynchronous check-ins.
- Issues and PRs Integration: Integrates with project management and source control tools, allowing you to see closed issues and opened PRs alongside your updates.
- Celebrate Accomplishments: See completed issues and PRs alongside your status updates.
- Filterable Timeline: Check out what the rest of the team is working on and easily find what you’re looking for.
- Reporting Tools: Gauge your team’s overall sentiment based on their status updates.
- Slack Reminders: Set up reminders on Slack to prompt your team to check in at regular intervals.
Teaminal provides three different pricing options—Free, Premium ($6/user/month), and Enterprise ($12/user/month). The free plan is designed for a maximum of 15 users and comes with unlimited teams, unlimited integrations, and email support.
For those looking for more advanced features, the Premium offers priority support and SAML SSO. Enterprise includes all the Premium features, as well as custom contracts, payment options, and personalized onboarding.
Pros and cons
- Replaces daily video calls with quick async updates
- Team members can provide updates at their convenience
- Integrates with project management and source control tools
- Limited number of users on the free plan
Geekbot is an async daily standup tool for Slack and Teams.
The tool lets team members check in on their own time and supports time zone localization to avoid bothering colleagues after hours. You can automate reminders to boost adoption and view reports to keep tabs on progress.
- Asynchronous Standups: Skip time-consuming meetings and allow team members to update their progress on their own time.
- Time Zone Localization: Respect your colleagues’ work-life balance by avoiding after-hours notifications.
- Automated Reminders: Increase participation and accountability with automated reminders for standups.
Geekbot offers three pricing plans—Start-up (free), Scale-up ($2.50/user/month), and Enterprise (custom).
Pros and Cons
- Offers a simple and intuitive interface
- Integrates with Slack and Teams
- Allows for easy customization of questions
- Admins with multiple standups may face issues
- Delays between questions can be long
- Tracking the completion of daily updates within Slack can be challenging
3. Status Hero
Status Hero is an alignment tool for distributed teams that offers an async check-in feature that works well for daily standups.
The tool uses quick async check-ins to collect data on goals, progress, intentions, and blockers for everyone on your team. This data is then organized into shared reports and dashboards to boost alignment and highlight opportunities.
- Asynchronous Daily Check-ins: Offers teams an alternative to traditional standups by allowing team members to update their progress at their own convenience.
- Live Dashboards & Reports: Provides real-time updates on project progress, key metrics, blockers, and more.
- Shared Goals & OKRs: Gives teams a clear view of their objectives and how each person’s contributions are impacting overall progress.
Status Hero offers three plans—Standard ($6.99/user/month), Premium ($13.98/user/month), and Enterprise (custom).
Pros and Cons
- Provides structured, async communication loops
- Offers smart check-ins
- Connects teams through shared goals and live dashboards
- Limited features
- No free plan available
- Pricing may be expensive for what you get
Selecting the right daily standup tool is essential for optimizing team collaboration and productivity in Agile environments. From streamlined communication to efficient scheduling, tools like Teaminal, Geekbot, and Status Hero offer diverse features catering to the unique needs of teams.
Whether it’s embracing asynchronous check-ins or leveraging smart analytics, the key takeaway is that a well-chosen daily standup tool can significantly enhance efficiency, foster clear communication, and propel teams toward success.
Ready to elevate your daily standups? Sign up for Teaminal today for free and experience firsthand how it can empower your team’s collaboration journey!